Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A bit of summer reading...



 I love to read. It is one of my all-time favorite things to do. I can sit with a book for hours and just escape. So when BzzAgent.com, of which I am a member, gave me the opportunity to get two free books for my Amazon Kindle, I jumped at the chance. Nothing better than free books, right?


The two books were The Hangman’s Daughter and The Dark Monk by Oliver Potzsch.  Yeah, I’ve never heard of the guy either.  The covers look a bit grim or plain. Which is why you should never judge a book by its cover.

The books center around a hangman, his daughter, and the town’s young doctor. They use a bit of common sense and logic that makes me think a bit of Sherlock Holmes to solve murders that happen in their areas.  I thought the books were going to be boring or gruesome due to the fact the main character is an executioner. I was wrong. There is witty banter and good plot lines.  The hangman, Jacob Kuisl, is an intriguing character.  His job is to torture people and to put them to death, but I find him to one of the most likeable, kind people in the the book. He is intelligent and likes to heal people more than he likes to harm them.

I’ll be honest. I enjoyed these books much more than I thought I would.  I thought The Hangman’s Daughter was going to be boring…maybe gory, but still boring. A book with history based in a part of the world that I have never been to.  But I found myself drawn in the books. The old school doctoring, the mystery to solve.  The witchcraft scare. The book was just a good read.  The Dark Monk reminded me a bit of books wrote by author Dan Brown, with the riddles and the mentioning of the Knights Templar. I love a good mystery and  a good mystery only gets better when you throw in age old conspiracy and secret sects.  I am looking forward to reading more by Oliver Potzsch.

---BzzAgent is a site where members, like me, get the chance to try products and share them with others and spread our opinions about them.  I have not been paid to give my opinion on this product. I was given the product for free to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment